Delicious Elk Rib Rack
Today I bring you something new, something exciting and what I might consider quite adventurous. I got these beautiful Whole Rack Ribs of Cervena Deer from meatnbone.com, I’ve never tried Elk before so I am excited to see how it tastes and how it comes out.
This particular Cervena Deer, has been farm raised in New Zealand where they are free to roam around, making this meat tender and flavorful. So really, the best way to get this on the grill is by doing a reverse sear and make sure it's cooked to perfection. I’m not using any strong seasoning, just the good old salt and pepper so I can taste it’s natural flavors. To finish off I will make a creamy mushroom sauce to go with it.
Let’s get to cooking!
- Light up your grill with FOGO Premium Charcoal and set up your grill to cook with indirect heat, set at a temperature of 225F.
- Season the rack with salt and pepper.
- Place the rack in the grill, let the internal temperature come up to 125F. Take it off the grill and let it rest.
- Crank up the heat on your grill, sear enough to get that nice char on the surface
While you let the rack rest, make the cream sauce.
Creamy mushroom sauce:
- Dice the shallots and garlic
- In a cast iron pan, put the butter and add the shallots and garlic cook them until they’re nice and golden
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and let them cook for about 2-3 mins
- Finally add the creme fraiche, combine all the ingredients together and you’re all done!
It’s time to dig in…
It was a lot of fun cooking this dish, but I was even more excited to try it.
For the first bite I decided to try the meat on its own without the creamy mushroom sauce. It was definitely very tender but I was surprised to see there was no intense flavor like I thought it would be. Still the meat was good and with the sauce, it was just incredible - I’m so happy I did this recipe!
Have you ever tried Elk Ribs, how did you grill it and did you like it? Let me know in the comments below!
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.