Welcome back to a very special episode! Today I bring you along with me to the Florida Gulf Coast Eggfest hosted by Grill & Provisions in Tampa. I love going to events like these, it’s a great opportunity to talk and get to know all of you, as well as showing you recipes that you can easily do at home.
When I cook at Eggfests or other events, I always try to create show stopping recipes and this one was no exception, we did NY Strip Loin seasoned with FOGO rub, reverse seared and we finished off with a BANG! - Caveman Style directly on the hot FOGO Charcoal. People loved it!
Many people have asked me to do a video and recipe on this, and it has been great to see others recreating it at home, so If you haven’t tried it yet you’ve come to the right place. Let’s get the fire hot and start the grilling.
- FOGO Premium Charcoal, the first ingredient. Light with FOGOstarters
- 10-12lbs Whole New York Strip Loin
- FOGO Rub
- Light your premium charcoal up with some FOGO starters, and let it get to a 225F temperature, and prepare your grill for indirect heat.
- Add some FOGO rub on top of the whole New York Strip Loin, add it liberally do not be intimidated by its color.
- Place the New York Strip Loin on the grill for a reverse sear or indirect heat, this means we will smoke it first before giving it a good sear.
- Once the Loin reaches an internal temperature of 115F, go ahead and remove it from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes or so.
- Cut the Loin into 1 inch thick steaks and add FOGO rub again, the rub will make the outside dry and create an amazing bark and crust.
- Now it’s time for the best part: the Caveman style. Get your coals red and hot.
- Shake up the ash so it doesn’t stick on your steaks, and make a bed of embers.
- Place the meat on top gently and let each side cook for about 45 seconds to a minute, until you see an incredible crust.
- Remove from fire and serve!
You’ve got a winner steak…
When people took their first bite, I was so excited to be able to share it with them. Not only did they love the part in which I put the steak directly on the coals, but they really enjoyed the end result. It was nice to see in social media that some of you were re-creating this in your homes! I appreciated all the feedback I got at the Florida Gulf Coast Eggfest, so much so that the weekend after at another Eggfest, #TeamFOGO decided to compete for the People’s Choice Award and… we WON first place!!!! So thanks to all of you who voted for us it was so much fun and thrilling.
If you haven’t tried this, I definitely urge you to do it and don’t be intimidated by it all, it is easy to follow and no harm can be done. There is no need to buy a whole loin, you can do it with a smaller piece or even with individual steaks. Step out of your comfort zone and I promise you that you’ll have fun and your family will enjoy it - and who knows you just might get killer pictures too! Make sure to share it with us and tag us in our social media.
Let me know in the comments if you’ve ever tried cooking steaks Caveman Style, did you like it? Would you do it again?