Gordon Ramsay’s Cauliflower Steaks with Olive & Mushrooms on the grill
Do you like to try new things? Cause I definitely do, especially when it comes to recipes on the grill. So to get me started, I’ve been taking a few courses in MasterClass and one of my favorite Masters at the moment is Gordon Ramsay, this guy just has amazing recipes that look so good and something that I feel I could do. So for the next few blogs, I’ve decided to bring some of his recipes out of the kitchen and onto the grill and share it with you guys!
Today I’m taking on his recipe on Cauliflower Steaks, topped off with a delicious mix of an olive pistou and mushrooms. The ingredients in this recipe just sound so good and I think it's the perfect recipe to do when you want to take a break from meat in general, but still want that smokey and hardy meal.
Let’s get started!
- Light up your FOGO Charcoal. I use two grills, one with high heat 450F to 500F and the other one will be used at 375F.
- Peel the leaves off the cauliflower and cut the stem leaving around 1 inch so the florets stay intact.
- Wet your knife, to make sure it does not stick to your cauliflower when cutting into “steaks”.
- Place the cauliflower stem side down, so you have a stable and flat base, and cut 1 inch off the right and left, leaving 2 inches of the middle untouched. Slice the center in half, which will give you 2 steaks at 1 inch thick.
- Put your steaks on a sheet pan and drizzle 8 tbsp of olive oil, season with 2 tbsp of the harissa powder and salt to taste. Turn your steaks and season with the remaining olive oil, harissa powder and salt.
- Place your cauliflower directly in the high heat grill and let it cook for about a minute per side so you get that nice charcoal flavor into it.
- Grab your cast iron pan (if you’re doing 4 steaks, you will need 2 pans), place your steaks in and put the pan back into the grill, let the sides brown a bit.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter, let it melt and brown and then baste the Cauliflowers with the delicious butter.
- Add the vegetable stock, and place the cast iron pan in the lower temperature grill, this will allow the cauliflower to fully finish cooking.
- Leave it for 8-10 minutes, if you can pierce the flesh easily it should be done. Transfer to a plate and let it rest.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the cast iron pan on the high heat grill with 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the Shiitake into the pan, and let them cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shallots and garlic into the pan, and stir occasionally for around 5 minutes until the shallots and garlic are translucent.
- Add the zest of lemon into the pan and add your olive pistou and stir.
- Sprinkle the mint over the mushrooms and add the capers. Stir until all the ingredients are incorporated. Take off heat.
- Place the cauliflower steak on the plate, and put a nice layer of the olive pistou and mushroom mix on top.
- Drizzle with some olive oil, lemon juice and zest and top it off with the beet microgreens for a touch of color.
Wow and Wow...
The smells coming out of this plate are just incredible, and it also looks amazing. As I cut into it, the Cauliflower is super tender and I try to get the perfect bite. The flavors combined are just perfect, the mushrooms are super meaty and have a great earthy note to it. The cauliflower is nice, buttery and overall just gives me a silky feeling - it is incredible the way all of these ingredients just come together so well, I can’t seem to put my plate down!
Doing this recipe, really showed me that this dish is completely doable on the grill as much as it can be done on a stove and oven. I think there is an added smokey flavor and I love it - so you should definitely give this a try.
Personally, I’m not sure if I would eat this as a main dish - it is definitely a great way to have a healthier meal. I think I would love to serve this as an appetizer or maybe a side dish. But no matter when you decide to eat it, I’m sure everyone will love it.
Have you tried any of Gordon Ramsay’s recipes on a grill? Let me know in the comments
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.