If This Isn’t The Best Chicken Shawarma, I Don’t Know What Is!
Welcome to a gastronomic adventure that will tantalize your taste buds and transport you to the vibrant streets of the Middle East. Today, we dive into the delectable world of Chicken Shawarma, a dish that has captured the hearts and palates of food enthusiasts worldwide. Join us as we unravel the secrets behind the marination, grilling techniques, and the irresistible blend of spices that make Chicken Shawarma an absolute culinary delight.
The Origins of Chicken Shawarma:
Originating from the Middle East, Chicken Shawarma has a rich history that spans centuries. Traditionally cooked on a vertical rotisserie, the dish has evolved over time, incorporating diverse flavors and culinary influences. It's a harmonious blend of ancient traditions and modern taste, creating a unique experience for those willing to explore the world of gastronomy.
To create the perfect Chicken Shawarma, it's essential to start with quality ingredients. Succulent chicken thighs, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, paprika, and a few other special spices come together to form the flavorful marinade. The use of these spices not only infuses the meat with a tantalizing aroma but also imparts a depth of taste that is simply irresistible.
The key to a mouthwatering Chicken Shawarma lies in the marination process. Allow the chicken to soak in the rich blend of spices and yogurt for at least a few hours, or preferably overnight. This marination not only tenderizes the meat but also ensures that each bite is infused with a symphony of flavors.
Once marinated to perfection, the chicken is threaded onto a vertical roaster called a Trompo King and slow cooked to juicy perfection. You can spin it every 5-10 minutes if you would like. The gradual rotation allows the meat to cook evenly, creating a crispy exterior while maintaining the juiciness within. On an Egg, it is not necessary but if you’d like to rotate it, I won’t try to stop you. The result? A succulent, flavorful chicken that's ready to be sliced and savored.
Accompaniments and Condiments:
No Chicken Shawarma experience is complete without the accompaniments and condiments that elevate the dish to new heights. Freshly baked pita bread, crisp vegetables, and a dollop of creamy Greek Yogurt sauce or tahini provide the perfect balance to the robust flavors of the chicken. Top it off with a drizzle of olive oil for that extra touch of authenticity
Beyond its irresistible taste, Chicken Shawarma also offers health benefits. Rich in lean protein, essential vitamins, and minerals, this dish provides a satisfying and nutritious meal. The combination of garlic, cumin, and coriander in the marinade adds a boost of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a guilt-free indulgence.
In conclusion, Chicken Shawarma is more than just a dish; it's a culinary journey that combines tradition, flavor, and craftsmanship. Whether enjoyed at a bustling street vendor or recreated in the comfort of your backyard, the experience of Chicken Shawarma is a celebration of culture and taste. So, embark on this flavorful adventure and savor every bite of this iconic Middle Eastern delight. Your taste buds will thank you! Enjoy the shawarma, remember to get out and grill, and I will see you the next time on The FOGO Life. Captain Ron out……
- Start by trimming any excess fat off of the thighs using your filet/boning Next, butterfly each thigh into thin cutlets. Place all of the chicken in a bowl or Ziploc bag and add all of the dry ingredients of the marinade. Stir to coat the chicken. Once it is coated, add the lemon and EVOO. Mix to coat and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 3 hours and up to overnight.
- Assemble the Greek Yogurt sauce by combining all 4 ingredients. Stir to combine and refrigerate while the chicken marinates.
- Next, Make the Mediterranean Salad by combining all of the ingredients and stirring it all together. Now add the dressing ingredients and combine until the salad is fully coated in dressing. Set in the refrigerator while the chicken marinates.
- Light that Grill! Fill your grill with FOGO Premium Charcoal and prepare it for indirect cooking at 450°. Place 2 FOGO Firestarters in a Blazaball and set it in the center of the coals. Use the grill torch to light the starters and place a few pieces of charcoal on top.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and layer the pieces on the Trompo King by piercing each piece in the center and pushing down until the meat is sitting flat on the Trompo. Continue stacking your meat, being sure to overlap each piece so they are not all facing the same direction. Continue until all of the meat has been stacked. Place the ½ of red onion on the spike over the chicken stack.
- Insert the Meater Thermometer into the meat stack so the tip is near the center, but not touching the spike. (that would give an inaccurate reading) Set it to 160-163°. Now place the fully stacked Trompo King in the center of your cooking grate and close the lid to your grill. Cook until the Meater says that it is ready. Next, using your Leather Heat Gloves, remove the Trompo King from the grill and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice down the edges of the meat stack from top to bottom, cutting off the outer layer of meat. Continue slicing around the stack until it has all been carved off.
- Heat a pita bread and slice the side, forming a pita pocket. Spoon some of the Greek Yogurt mixture into the pita, followed by a few spoons of the meat. Top it with the Mediterranean salad and a touch more meat.
- Finish up by taking a big old bite and enjoying your tasty treat that you just created. Give yourself a pat on the back, job well done.
Receive Free Shipping on all orders over $40
100% Full Satisfaction policy. No questions asked.
Grill Now, Pay Later!
Orders ship within 24 hours! Any questions?