Parmesan Crusted Tomahawk Steak
Parmesan/Herb Crusted Steak
There is not much more impressive looking piece of meat than a tomahawk steak. If you are not familiar with what a tomahawk steak is, we are going to have to ask you to leave. WAIT, I am kidding. A tomahawk steak is merely a bone-in ribeye that has not had the rib bone cut short. They are generally a thick steak, and the bone has been “Frenched” which is to say that all of the meat has been cleaned off of the “handle” section. It is called a tomahawk because it’s appearance is similar to a tomahawk axe. Luckily, the steak tastes much better than the real thing.
The Steak Crust
The tomahawk ribeye is generally full of flavor and really doesn’t need any help. Well, we have never let that stop us from trying to improve on what is already great. We made a similar crust for a recipe video last year and thought that it just may be good on a steak too. Well, we were right. The fresh herbs, combined with the salty cheese and flavored breadcrumbs made for a bite that would make even the finickiest of eaters smile. Each bite was like a flavor explosion, and we could not have been more happy with the results.
2 Zone Cooking
If you are not familiar with 2 zone cooking, please allow me to break it down for you. It is nothing more than setting up the grill so that one side is direct grilling (burning coals directly under the meat) and the other side is indirect grilling (No heat source directly under the meat). For this cook, we poured a bunch of our Black Bag Premium Lump Charcoal in the grill and pushed or banked all of the coals to one side. This allows for the other side to remain at a more steady temp for roasting or smoking.
- Fill your Kick Ash Basket in your grill with FOGO Charcoal. Bank the coals to one side and prepare it for 2 zone cooking at 275° using the Cast Iron Half Moon on the “heated” side. Use FOGO Firestarters to light your fire.
- Season your steak all over, including the sides with a good coating of kosher salt and black pepper. Set your steak aside while you prepare the crust and while the grill warms up.
- Prepare your cheese/herb crust by combining the parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic, and a small amount of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). Combine, adding small amounts of oil at a time until you reach your desired consistency. It should be like a paste. Not too dry but not runny. Set it aside.
- When the cast iron is hot enough (water should “dance’ and evaporate when it’s hot enough) Lay the steak on there and sear the outside for approximately 1 minute. You should have a golden-brown crust. Flip the steak over and repeat the searing process for the 2nd Sear the side edges as well. Remove the steak and set it on the wire rack in the Drip n Griddle.
- Cover the top of the steak with a layer of the parmesan-herb mixture. Press it down into the steak well. Insert the Meater+ into the side of the steak so that the tip is located in the center of the steak. Place the steak, crust side up, on the indirect side of the grill. Cook until the internal temperature is 120° F. Remove to the same rack (wash it in between) to let it rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing, serving, and devouring! ***NOTE- If the crust is not as dark or melted as much as you would like, you could use the Grill Torch to roast the crust and brown it a bit. This will make the flavors pop even more.
Receive Free Shipping on all orders over $40
100% Full Satisfaction policy. No questions asked.
Grill Now, Pay Later!
Orders ship within 24 hours! Any questions?