The Cuban Sandwich With a Twist
Welcome, food enthusiasts, to another exciting culinary adventure! Today, we're diving into the world of sandwiches with a unique twist on a classic favorite – the Cuban Brisket Sandwich. This mouthwatering creation replaces the traditional pork with the rich and flavorful brisket, elevating the sandwich game to a whole new level. We competed in the Visit Lauderdale Food and Wine Festival BBQ Brawl and placed third place overall. The judges were blown away by the brisket in place of pork. Some said they never want a pork Cuban again!
The Cuban Sandwich Legacy:
The Cuban sandwich, or "Cubano," has a rich history rooted in the cultural fusion of Cuban and Floridian flavors. Traditionally, this iconic sandwich features roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, and sometimes salami, all pressed between two slices of Cuban bread. It's a symphony of flavors that has captured the hearts (and taste buds) of many.
Enter the Brisket:
Imagine taking that classic Cubano and introducing the smoky, tender goodness of brisket. The result? An explosion of flavors that takes the traditional sandwich to uncharted territories. The brisket, slow smoked to perfection, brings a unique depth and richness that perfectly complements the other ingredients.
The Art of Slow Cooking:
One of the key elements that sets the Cuban Brisket Sandwich apart is the art of slow cooking. The brisket is seasoned with a blend of spices, then patiently slow-cooked (or smoked in this case) until it reaches a melt-in-your-mouth perfection. This method allows the meat to absorb all the delicious flavors, creating a savory experience like no other.
Building the Cuban Brisket Sandwich:
Assembling this culinary masterpiece requires attention to detail. Start with a foundation of crusty Cuban bread, add layers of thinly sliced or chopped brisket, ham, Swiss cheese, and pickles. The finishing touch is a spread of zesty mustard, tying all the elements together. The sandwich is then pressed until the flavors meld into a harmonious blend of textures and tastes.
Pairing and Serving Suggestions:
To complement the bold flavors of the Cuban Brisket Sandwich, consider serving it with a side of potato Stix, plantain chips or yuca fries. For a refreshing beverage pairing, a classic mojito or a tropical fruit smoothie adds a delightful touch.
The Fusion of Cultures:
What makes the Cuban Brisket Sandwich truly special is the fusion of cultures encapsulated in each bite. It pays homage to the traditional Cubano while introducing a Texas-style twist with the brisket. It's a celebration of culinary diversity that showcases the endless possibilities within the world of food. Sort of a Cuba meets Florida meets Texas twist.
In the realm of sandwiches, the Cuban Brisket Sandwich stands as a testament to the beauty of experimentation and fusion. By embracing the rich flavors of brisket, this innovative take on a classic favorite opens the door to a world of culinary possibilities. So, gather your ingredients, fire up that smoker, and embark on a journey to savor the extraordinary – because sometimes, breaking with tradition leads to the most delicious discoveries.
If you are unsure about brisket in lieu of pork, I recommend you give it a try. I am telling you, Ricky Riccardo himself would be please with this sandwich. Go Google that you youngsters and find out who that is. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy this delicioso sandwich. It has all of the makings of a championship gourmet treat. Don’t forget to subscribe to the FOGO channel on YouTube. Leave us a comment and like the video. We appreciate it a lot. Until the next time, remember to get out and grill and I will see you the next time on The FOGO Life. Captain Ron…...out!
- Prepare your brisket by using your filet knife and trimming it of all hard and excess fat. Place it in a brining bag and cover it with MOJO Marinade. Tie the bag shut and set it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. #ToTheRefrigerator
- After 24 hours, remove the brisket from the refrigerator and from the marinade. Pat, it dry with paper towels. Coat the brisket in Mojo Rub. I used two different rubs, the fine one first, followed up by the 2nd, more textured rub. Let this sit on a rack in a wire pan while you prepare the grill.
- Place 2 FOGO Fire Starters in a Blazaball and lay it on the center of the charcoal grate. Use your torch to light the starters. Once they are burning, fill your grill with FOGO Super Premium Charcoal and prepare it for indirect cooking at 250°.
- When the temperature is burning steady, insert the Meater Thermometer into the center of the brisket. Place the brisket on the grate and close the dome. When it has reached 165°, have a peek at it. If the bark is where you want it to be, remove the brisket from the grill and lay it on a sheet of foil. Pour a small amount of MOJO Marinade in with the brisket and wrap it tightly in the foil. Place it back on the grill and continue cooking until it reaches 203°. You can let it cook a bit longer as we want it to chop easily and even fall apart a bit. When it is done cooking, remove it to a cooler or a Cambro insulated container and let it rest for at least 1 hour before chopping.
- Once it is done resting, remove it from the foil and slice it against the grain using a slicer knife. Now use the knife to chop it down to small bits. Drizzle a little more marinade over it as well as a bit more of the rub. Mix thoroughly. Set the brisket aside.
- Remove the deflector from the grill to work with direct grilling now. Place the half-moon Griddle on the grate and let it heat up.
- Slice the bread in half longways. If one side has a lot more bread than the other, use your hand to hollow out some of the extra. Apply a layer of mustard to both sides. Then a layer of Swiss cheese, a layer of ham and a layer of pickles on one half. Now close the sandwich.
- Melt the butter and use the basting brush to apply a coat of butter to the bottom of the sandwich. Lay the sandwich on the Use the bacon press to push down and press the sandwich. Continue cooking for approximately one minute or until the bread crisps on the bottom. Paint a layer of butter on top with the brush and flip the sandwich over and repeat the pressing/crisping process. Remove the sandwich, slice, and serve. Take a bite, marvel in the deliciousness that you’ve just created.
- Serve with potato Stix, potato chips or plantain chips.
Receive Free Shipping on all orders over $40
100% Full Satisfaction policy. No questions asked.
Grill Now, Pay Later!
Orders ship within 24 hours! Any questions?