Ahh, yes, the dog days of summer are almost behind us. All of the fun days with friends and family spent in the backyard, the beach, maybe a park. The beautiful aroma of charcoal burning while Dad mans the grill. You sit down to eat and can’t wait to see what magic he has grilled up for you today. Here it comes, is it chicken? Pork chops or maybe even a nice thick juicy steak? Nope, it’s...grilled watermelon pizza??????? WAIT!!!!! Don’t get up and run away quite yet.
You just may be surprised at the delicious refreshing treat you are about to eat. The way that the flames mix with the sweet meat of the melon is something you should not turn your nose up at until you’ve tried it. Topped with nice salty feta cheese, some freshly chopped herbs and finally with that sweet, rich, flavorful balsamic glaze, it's an unreal combination of flavors on your tongue.This fun BBQ day treat will surely have some coming back for more and some not even willing to try it. Do yourself a favor and give it a try, you just may be surprised at how much you enjoy it!
- Place your FOGOstarters in the charcoal and get the coals lit to a medium hot fire.
- Lightly oil and salt both sides of the watermelon. This will be the “crust”.
- Place the melon on the grate, directly over the flames. Cook long enough to create some nice grill marks and flip it over (those grill marks are from the sugars in the melon caramelizing).
- Scatter the Feta all over the melon and close the lid and let it cook for a few minutes. The cheese will not melt like a traditional mozzarella but get nice and soft and smoky.
- Once you’ve achieved the grill marks on the other side, sprinkle the pickled onions and your fresh herbs all over it and remove from the heat.
- Allow it to cool for a minute or two and squeeze the balsamic glaze all around on the top of the “pizza”.
- Slice it just like you would slice a pizza and enjoy your tasty new creation!
We hope you have enjoyed this as much as we did and will try this at your next cookout. It is sure to be a hit!
Thanks for checking it out!