Vortex (In)direct Heat
We have run out of stock for this item.
- Free shipping on orders over $40
Enhance your charcoal cooking experience! Whether you're looking for the perfect searing zone, high OR low indirect heat, or a charcoal bank deflector, let the Vortex™ do the work
4 cooking methods
INDIRECT - Low & Slow Cooking/Smoking
The Vortex can redirect the flow of heat up and around the meat which can turn your kettle into a true indirect ‘smoker’. Vortex goes Wide-End up.
- Lump Charcoal go around the perimeter onto the fire grate.
- Place meat directly over Vortex in the center.
- The coals are lit on one end and snake/minion their way around the kettle.
- The Vortex shape acts as the deflector for direct heat which is different than snaking the charcoal without the Vortex
DIRECT - High Heat Searing
This is your searing option. Picture the back of a jet engine where the fire is shooting out of the exhaust cones. This is how you will get that intense sear result.
- Load up the Vortex Narrow Side Up. Let coals set.
- Put steak or chop directly over the fire for about a minute per side. It will have a very nice sear across the whole steak, not just where the grate marks are happening. The Maillard Reaction is able to occur across surface area of the whole steak/ chop rather than just where the grate is touching the meat.
- Once seared on both sides. Move off to perimeter where steak/ chop can INDIRECTLY come up to preferred temp. Also, try searing at the end of the cook for a reverse sear.
INDIRECT-DIRECT - High Heat Indirect Cooking
It all started in an effort to get ‘fried-like’ skin on chicken wings. The Vortex create a high heat that is directed upwards then radiates down around the kettle lid creating an EVEN high heat.
- Load up the Vortex Narrow Side Up. Let charcoal ash over.
- Put meat around perimeter. If smoke flavor is desired, place a tennis ball sized chunk directly over Vortex onto grill grate.
This method allows the chicken around the perimeter can get fried-like skin without getting the burn marks that happen while grilling wings directly. The heat increases enough to crisp skin without any direct flame. This is not unlike setting your fire off to one side of your kettle, the only difference with the Vortex would be an even amount of heat for every piece around the perimeter as opposed to the ones closest to the fire. No need for rotating or extra flipping
INFRARED - Radiant Heat
Due to the grate-to-lid height on a kettle, making an upright (or ‘beer can’) chicken can be difficult to cook in an 18.5” or 22.5” kettle.
This is a method that allows a perfect roasted protein without the need for an expensive rotisserie or having to spatchcock the bird before cooking. The Vortex deflects the direct heat while radiating high heat and giving your food the outdoor cooking flavor.
- Place Vortex wide-end up with a piece of foil in the bottom to block the air flow as well as catch drippings.
- Place bird or small roast on the beer-can holder (with or without liquid in it).
- Pour a chimney full of lighted charcoal equally around the Vortex and close the lid.
- Let the chicken/roast come up to temp while rotating the exhaust (kettle only) 45 degrees every 20 mins.
FREE Shipping: We offer free shipping on all orders over $40. For orders below $40 we charge a $9.95 flat shipping fee.
Our current shipping status:
In-stock orders will ship the same business day if placed before 2pm EST/EDT. Orders placed after 2pm will ship the next business day.
Multiple bags in the same order ship in separate boxes that may get split up during transit and deliver on different days.
Been using the Vortex for about 10 years now. Glad to see it with Fogo. They pair so well together. Allows so many options with cooks on the BGE and Weber Kettle. I have one for each!
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.