There are many ways to prepare flank steak other than for tacos. Most times that we see flank steak, it is marinated, grilled, sliced and served. (usually in a taco shell) Well, we wanted to show you how versatile this incredible cut of beef can be. We did not marinate the steak before cooking, although I think it would be good and would kick up the flavors even more. These Flank Steak Pinwheels are a delicious alternative to the everyday flank steak.
You can alter this recipe and add or take away any items you’d like. I think that I would probably season the beef with salt and pepper before cooking it or as I mentioned earlier, give it a little time in some marinade. You could go Greek with Feta, garlic and spinach, Italian by marinating in Italian dressing and stuffing it with tomatoes, garlic and mozzarella or whatever other combo of flavors that you can come up with. The possibilities are endless. The important thing is to enjoy that beautiful crusty cheese that builds up as they cook. It is a flavor explosion!
Flank Steak Pinwheels
Recipe Type: Beef
Skill Level: Intermediate
Grill Time: 10 minutes
FOGO charcoal- The First Ingredient
1 Flank steak
1 lb. Provolone cheese
1 bag fresh baby spinach
1 jar of roasted red peppers or 2-3 freshly roasted red peppers
William Horst at Hooked_on_BBQ on Instagram. FOGO Ambassador and #TeamFOGO member
- Prepare your grill for direct grilling with medium high heat.
- Lay the flank steak flat and butterfly, starting at the longest side. Cut the steak horizontally to within ½ inch of the other side. **Open it up and lay flat with the grain running from left to right. **(This is opposite of how I said to do it in the video) You can pound it flat if you would like but it is not completely necessary in my opinion.
- Lay down a layer of cheese, a layer of spinach and a layer of roasted peppers. I like cheese so I lay an additional layer of cheese on top. You’ll want to leave a ½’ inch border uncovered.
- Tightly roll the flank steak. Roll it up completely. Tie it with the twine about every 1 to 1 1/2”. Slice in between each piece of twine to create individual pieces.
Cast Iron Option:
- Heat cast iron pan on your grill.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with oil and allow to come to temperature.
- Place each pinwheel face down in the pan and cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until the beef is to your desired doneness.
- Place each pinwheel on the grate, face down.
- Grill to desired doneness, flipping halfway through
Thanks for checking out this episode of The FOGO Life, I hope you enjoyed it. Make sure to check out the full video and remember to SUBSCRIBE, Hit the thumbs up on the video and ring the bell to turn on notifications so that you don’t miss a single video. We have lots of good ones coming up!