Holiday Prime Rib Prepared 2 Ways
One of the most popular meals to serve at the holiday times is a delicious prime rib roast. You just cannot beat the flavor of a prime rib cooked over FOGO Charcoal. Today we show you two different ways to prepare your holiday Prime Rib on a Big Green Egg or any other grill on which you are cooking. The first is done on a rotisserie and the second is cooked indirect and smoked/roasted on the grill. They are both fantastic ways to prepare them. This was not meant to be a comparison video, but a way to showcase our two favorite ways to prepare this succulent feast. Each tastes a bit different, and it would be impossible to pick which is the better of the two. Whichever method you choose, we are sure that your holiday feast is sure to be a great hit.
- Remove the roast from the package and spray with Duck Fat Spray. Generously coat the entire roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Slice the garlic cloves in half. Using a knife, cut slits into the roast and stuff each with ½ of a garlic clove. Allow the roast to remain on the counter for a minimum of one hour while you light the grill and get to temperature
Follow steps #3 to #6 for the Rotisserie Roast
Place a thin pan in the middle of your grills charcoal area. Fill each side with FOGO Premium Charcoal so the pan creates an alley in between the charcoal. I used an aluminum foil half pan that I cut in half and placed together for the pan. If you don’t have one of these, you can simply bank all of the coals to one side. The idea is to avoid direct flames under the meat on the rotisserie. Light the charcoal and stabilize it at 350°.
- Insert the Meater thermometer into the center of the meat, making sure to not hit the bone. Place the roast on the rotisserie and place it in the grill.
- Spin the roast until the thermometer reaches 120°. This should take around 2 hours.
- Remove the roast from the grill and loosely tent with foil. Allow the prime rib to rest for a minimum of 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Follow steps #7 to #11 for the Indirect Roast
- Fill your grill with FOGO Super Premium lump charcoal and prepare it for indirect cooking at 275°.
- Place a water pan under the grate and fill it with water to be used as a drip pan. This will make the Au Jus later on. Monitor the pan throughout the cook to make sure the water does not boil out of it. Refill as needed.
- Once the fire is stabilized at 275° and there is no white smoke, just blue or clear smoke, place the Meater thermometer into the center of the meat and place the roast in the center of the cooking grid.
- Continue cooking until the internal temperature has reached 120° for medium rare. Once you’ve hit the desired temperature, remove the roast from the grill, loosely tent with foil and allow it to rest for a minimum of 15 minutes before slicing.
- Carefully remove the drip pan from the grill and pour the contents into a heat proof bowl. Skim the fat off of the top and serve with the sliced prime rib as Au Jus sauce. (If you place the Au Jus in the refrigerator while the meat is resting, the fat will begin to harden and make it easier to skim off of the top)
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.