Lemon Pepper Spatchcock Chicken
One of my favorite items to buy at the local grocery store is their lemon pepper roasted chicken. Well, here is an easy recipe that allows you to make a flavorful and juicy bird right in your own backyard. If you have never made a spatchcock chicken and the thought of it seems very daunting, this step-by-step guide in the video should help set you at ease. It is a very simple process and is sure to deliver delicious results!
RECIPE TYPE: Whole Chicken
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
GRILL TIME: 1 Hour
Method: Grilling Indirect
Number of Servings: 4 People
1 Whole 5-6 Lb. Chicken
3 Large Lemons
1 stick of unsalted butter- softened
2 TBSP Lemon Juice from the lemons
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
¼ tsp Onion Powder
For the Lemon Pepper Compound Butter:
- Zest 2 of the lemons
- Combine butter, zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Mix until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
For the bird:
- Fill your grill with FOGO Charcoal and prepare it for indirect cooking at 350°
- Using kitchen shears, cut the spine out of the chicken. Once the backbone is removed, use a knife to make a small slice where the two breast plates come together. Flip the bird over and press down heavily on the breasts until you hear a cracking sound. Lay the bird flat.
- Gently use your fingers to separate the skin from each breast. Be very careful as you do not want to tear the skin. Apply a generous amount of the compound butter in between the breast meat and the skin.
- Slice the last lemon and slide one slice under the skin for each breast.
- Rub the remaining compound butter over the skin of the entire bird, including the legs, thighs, and wings.
- Place the bird flat on the grill, skin side up, right in the middle of the grates on the indirect part of the grill.
- Allow the bird to cook until the temperature reads 160° in the breast. If you would like the skin a bit crispier or would like some more char, flip the bird over so it is skin side down and place it over the direct side of the grill for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes prior to carving and serving.
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.