One of my favorite items to buy at the local grocery store is their lemon pepper roasted chicken. Well, here is an easy recipe that allows you to make a flavorful and juicy bird right in your own backyard. If you have never made a spatchcock chicken and the thought of it seems very daunting, this step-by-step guide in the video should help set you at ease. It is a very simple process and is sure to deliver delicious results!
RECIPE TYPE: Whole Chicken
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
GRILL TIME: 1 Hour
Method: Grilling Indirect
Number of Servings: 4 People
FOGO Premium Charcoal- The First Ingredient
1 Whole 5-6 Lb. Chicken
3 Large Lemons
1 stick of unsalted butter- softened
2 TBSP Lemon Juice from the lemons
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
¼ tsp Onion Powder
For the Lemon Pepper Compound Butter:
- Zest 2 of the lemons
- Combine butter, zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Mix until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
For the bird:
- Fill your grill with FOGO Charcoal and prepare it for indirect cooking at 350°
- Using kitchen shears, cut the spine out of the chicken. Once the backbone is removed, use a knife to make a small slice where the two breast plates come together. Flip the bird over and press down heavily on the breasts until you hear a cracking sound. Lay the bird flat.
- Gently use your fingers to separate the skin from each breast. Be very careful as you do not want to tear the skin. Apply a generous amount of the compound butter in between the breast meat and the skin.
- Slice the last lemon and slide one slice under the skin for each breast.
- Rub the remaining compound butter over the skin of the entire bird, including the legs, thighs, and wings.
- Place the bird flat on the grill, skin side up, right in the middle of the grates on the indirect part of the grill.
- Allow the bird to cook until the temperature reads 160° in the breast. If you would like the skin a bit crispier or would like some more char, flip the bird over so it is skin side down and place it over the direct side of the grill for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes prior to carving and serving.
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.