Smoked Double Pork Carnitas Street Tacos
You have probably heard of carnitas tacos but if you have not, allow me to explain what they are. Carnitas literally translates to “little meats.” The perfect name for this preparation due to the smashing and shredding of the pork. The meats are braised or simmered until soft and tender. The flavor is amazing and the texture you get from the method that we used here will provide an incredible bite and a flavor explosion. There is purposely not a lot of seasonings in this recipe as the meats shine through and provide plenty of flavor on their own. This recipe is sure to impress the pickiest of guests on Taco Tuesday!
- Fill your grill with FOGO Premium Charcoal and prepare it for 2 zone cooking, one for indirect and one for searing on cast iron
- Heat the grill to 350°. Place all of the diced pork belly into the pot with all of the chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Place all of the diced pork shoulder on a small rack and place it over the top of the Dutch oven so that the meats are centered over the pot and place it on the indirect side.
- Allow the meats to smoke for ½ hour. You can go longer but will pick up more smoke flavor. The idea of this recipe is to just give the shoulder a kiss of smoke.
- Place the rest of the pork down into the Dutch oven, mix well and cover. Allow this to cook for approx. 2 hours or until the meat will easily shred.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare your toppings. Combine the diced onion, chopped cilantro and some lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to sit to allow the flavors to combine.
- Remove the meat from the pot and place half of the meat and juices onto the cast iron griddle. Press down with the back of your tongs to shred and break up. Cook it until it begins to brown and get some nice, crispy edges. Set aside and repeat with the remaining pork.
- Heat your tortillas in the griddle pan until they begin to brown.
- Assemble your tacos. Place some of the pork, the onion/cilantro mix and cheese. Take a bite and enjoy!
Receive Free Shipping on all orders over $40
100% Full Satisfaction policy. No questions asked.
Grill Now, Pay Later!
Orders ship within 24 hours! Any questions?