As October draws to a close, the scariest, spookiest holiday of the year is upon us, Halloween! That fun holiday where the kids (and some adults) get dressed up in their favorite costume, gather together and go from house to house in the neighborhood trick or treating for candy. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, many trick or treaters will not be out canvasing the neighborhoods this year. It’ll be a different holiday for sure but there’s no reason that you can’t still make the most of it by making something both fun and tasty for the family to enjoy. That’s why we have this weeks presentation of stuffed peppers, jack-o-lantern style.
The orange bell peppers make a fun way to enjoy an old favorite with a new twist. Get creative and carve some crazy faces to these babies to make it even more fun and scary! The way they cook with all of the stuffing inside makes for an incredibly delicious, fun feast. Make sure not to carve too big of holes in the peppers, you do not want all of your filling to come out during the cook process. If it does, just scoop it up and eat it! That’s how we do it when we live The Fogo Life!
- FOGO Premium Charcoal-The First Ingredient
- 6 Orange Bell Peppers
- ¾ Cup uncooked riced cauliflower you can also use cooked white rice or orzo)
- 8 oz Italian Sausage
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 14 oz pizza sauce
- ½ cup mini pepperoni or large pepperoni cut down to size
- 2 ½ cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- Cut the top off of each pepper and carve your jack-o-lantern face into each one.
- Cook your sausage on the grill or crumble it and brown it in a pan, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. If you cooked them on the grill, crumble them and add them to the pan. Add the chopped onion and and sauté another 2-3 minutes. Add the riced cauliflower or pasta to the pan, followed by the pizza sauce and ¾ of the pepperoni. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese, then spoon the mixture into the peppers.
- Place your peppers in a pan or on a baking sheet on a rack. Spoon the mixture into the peppers and place water in the pan so its just below the rack. Replace the top on each pepper. Cook them at 350° for approximately 20 minutes. Once the peppers begin to soften, remove the tops and sprinkle them with the remaining cheese and top with the remaining pepperoni. Continue cooking the peppers until the cheese is nicely melted and remove from the grill.
- ALLOW THEM TO COOL A BIT BEFORE EATING! You don’t want to be biting into a stuffed pepper lava flow!
These peppers are a great way to have some fun and enjoy Halloween season! Be careful that the ghosts, goblins, witches and warlocks don’t try to steal your tasty treats though! We hope you all enjoy a happy, healthy and safe Halloween. We can just count this Halloween as a great time to enjoy some sweet treats and be thankful for what we do have. If you do go trick or treating, please be safe, stay healthy and most importantly, have a great time. That is how you live “The FOGO Life”!