My son loves hamburgers, so I decided to teach him how to do smash burgers on the grill. We know that kids tell the truth, so I did a test. What kind of meat is better for smash burgers? Chuck, Grass Fed or Bison?
Charcoal Pro-Tip: For this cook, we actually used charcoal that we had leftover from my previous cook, and that’s something you can totally do this at home! Once you’re done cooking, close the lid and all the vents, starving the fire of oxygen will automatically turn off the charcoal. The next time you want to use the charcoal, you just need to shake the ash and then re-light it!
- Chuck minced meat
- Grass Fed minced meat
- Bison minced meat
- Martin potato rolls
- Salt and pepper
- American cheese in slices
- BBQ sauce
- For all three kinds of meat, do a ball using a surface like a cutting board. There is no need to squeeze it too much, just make sure its a fluffy ball.
- Grab the salt and sprinkle it deliberately! Also, add some pepper to add a bit more flavor.
- Spread a bit of butter on the inside of the bread using a knife.
- While we wait for the soapstone to heat up, you can use it to grill the buns. Put the buns face down (with the buttery side on the soapstone). Leave it for a couple of minutes and then remove from the grill.
- Put the sauce on the bun - my son likes BBQ sauce!
- Spray oil on the stone to lubricate the cooking surface (I used grapeseed oil).
- Place the meatballs on the soapstone and smash the burger with a burger press or a spatula, make sure you oil the press!
- Flip the burger and put the cheese on top. Tip: if you want it to melt quicker, close that lid!
- We did our burgers double patties as the smashed patties are quite thin.
How did we do?
From Left to Right: Chuck Burger, Grass-fed Burger, Bison Burger
We put the three burgers to the test with a ten-year-old! How did they do?
Rating: 0.00000000000000000001 / 5
This was like a regular as in a bit “boring” hamburger! It was too dry, tasteless and overall just not so good!
Grass Fed burger
Rating: 3.5 / 5
This burger is way better, it has much more flavor and it's juicier! It really shows how it makes a difference to select your meat at the supermarket!
Rating: 4 / 5
This burger was really tasty! It wasn’t as juicy as the grass-fed burger (some of the juices came out when it was on the grill), but it was definitely tastier!
There’s room to find that ultimate perfect burger! But we’re definitely getting close. As for my son, I asked him if he enjoyed being in the video, and if he’d be in one again - he said “yes!” and “maybe….”. So I think you’ll maybe see him again soon ;)
If you liked our video, please subscribe to our channel and share with your friends! Thanks for watching!