What to eat for the Super Bowl
It’s the Super Bowl time again so which do you prefer for the big game, pizza, or wings? Hey, maybe you want both, pizza AND wings… Well, our guy, @cptnron302 came up with a great way to satisfy both cravings at once, Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza! That’s right, two great tastes that taste great together.
BGE Pizza Wedges
We just got a hold of the new Pizza Oven Wedges from Big Green Egg that turn your BGE into an open-faced brick oven style pizza oven. It is designed to work much in the same manner as an Ooni, Alfa pizza oven or any one of the others that are out there on the market. Now, we all know that a Kamado grill has always been able to turn out fantastic pizza, but the addition of these simple to install wedges really makes it much easier to produce an evenly cooked pizza than ever before.
They are incredibly easy to install and literally takes seconds. Once that you have reached your desired temperature, open the dome, and the wedges simply sit on the base with small tabs to guide them into place. Being made from cast aluminum, they are very light weight and are simple to handle. The other great part is that because of the materials used to make them, they will not rust.
When you are done cooking with them, it is very simple to shut everything down. Close the bottom vent on the grill, put on your leather grilling gloves (You’ll need them, those wedges get awfully hot) and simply lift the wedges out. Place them somewhere that they will not burn anything and out of the reach of children and pets. Now, just shut down your Egg as you normally would. Keep the top vent closed, shut the bottom vent, and close the dome. That’s it, easy peasy.
You can go through the process of making your own dough if that is what you are into. There are literally thousands of great recipes for dough out there. Ron chooses to simply buy his dough from a local pizzeria in his neighborhood. They sell them for $3.00 each and it is a lot less messy than making your own. Check with your favorite local pizza place and see if they will sell you a dough. Around here most are happy to sell them to you and it will save you a lot of time.
This isn’t just Buffalo Chicken pizza. NO, this is actual chicken wing pizza. Real grilled, crispy wings that have been deboned and chopped for all of that delicious chicken wing flavor. Let’s face it, that crispy skin on wings is something that everyone loves and what would it be if we didn’t have our favorite part of the wing on the pizza? Well, it would be a delicious pizza but not quite as delicious as a pizza with the skin!
Yes, this recipe does entail a few steps, BUT… your efforts will pay off in a big way. This pizza is packed with so much delicious flavor that the camera man said it was the best pizza that he has ever tasted. I mean how can you argue with a testimonial like that? The wedges really make it so much easier to cook a nice even pizza that will be cooked as well on top as it is on the bottom. Yes, the days of an undercooked top and burnt bottom are completely gone. We were very impressed with BGE’s new pizza wedges and look forward to many, many, MANY more tasty recipes using them. We hope that you enjoy the big game and some tasty treats while watching. I know that we will all be glued to our T.V. sets with full bellies and huge smiles. This pizza is a TOUCHDOWN!!!
For the wings:
- Prepare the chicken wings using the Vortex as we did here- https://youtu.be/7uZ4ST_rv8o. Do NOT Sauce the wings.
- Prepare the sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients in the carbon steel pan over medium heat until everything is melted and combined. Set aside to cool.
For the Pizza:
- Fill your grill with FOGO Premium Charcoal, light your fire starters with the grill torch and prepare for Pizza cooking at 475-500°. Your setup configuration should be: conveggtor (deflector) with the legs up, the cooking grate on top of that, and the pizza stone on top of the grate.
- Take a piece of parchment paper and cut it just slightly larger than the pizza stone. Starting with a well-floured work surface, stretch your dough by hand or using a rolling pin. Place the stretched dough on the parchment paper or a pizza screen.
- Pour enough of the Buffalo sauce to make a thin coat and cover the dough, leaving ¾”-1” bare for the crust. Tear the fresh mozzarella sporadically spread them over the pizza, making sure to have enough coverage to cover the pie when it cooks and melts.
- Debone the wings and give them a rough chop with the chef’s knife. Spread the chicken meat evenly over the pizza. Next, drop bits of the crumbled blue cheese on the pizza according to your taste.
- Carefully open the dome of the heated Egg, making sure to “burp” the Egg to avoid a fireball and singeing your arm hair off. Nobody wants that! Install the BGE Pizza Wedges on either side of the base of the Egg, close the dome and close the top vent fully. Using these wedges will force the hot air over the top of the pizza and out of the front opening. Because of this, the top of the pizza will cook much more in time than without the wedges.
- Use your pizza peel to pick up the pizza (on the parchment paper or screen). Slide the pizza into the front of the Egg and rest it on the preheated pizza stone and remove the peel.
- Monitor the cooking and after about 2 minutes, test to see if the dough has set by attempting to slide the peel in between the pizza and the paper. If the dough has cooked enough, slide the peel UNDER the paper and pull the pizza out. Remove the parchment paper (or screen) and place the pizza back in, directly on the stone. If it appears that the pizza is cooked enough on the back side, spin the pizza 180° before returning it to the Egg. If not, allow it to cook for a couple more minutes until the rear part is well browned, then spin it. Continue cooking the pizza until the crust is browned, the bottom is brown and turning crisp, and all of the cheese has melted. When all of that has been achieved, remove the pizza from the oven to a pizza tray or cutting board.
- Drizzle the blue cheese dressing forming a zig-zag pattern over the top of the pie. Drizzle in horizontal fashion first, then in the opposite direction. Sprinkle with the chopped green onion. Slice your beautiful and delicious masterpiece that you just created, serve, and enjoy!
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.