The Great Steak Debate: Cast Iron vs. Open Flame
Welcome back to another edition of The FOGO Life. This week, we try to answer and finally resolve the great steak debate, which steak is better, cast iron or open flame cooked. While each has its own special flavor and texture, there can only be one winner, right? Click on the video link and see what Captain Ron and his daughter Kaitlyn were able to come up with for an answer. The results just may surprise you!
- Coat each steak with the seasoning of your choice. We simply used kosher salt and ground black pepper as we wanted the flavor of these beautiful Australian Wagyu Denver Steaks to shine through. Set them on the counter for ½ hour to come to room temperature and allow the seasoning to penetrate the beef.
- While the steaks are resting, fill your grill with FOGO Premium Charcoal. Place your FOGO Fire starters inside the Blazaball and tuck it into the coals. Light it and build a solid fire with medium high heat.
- Set up one side of the grill so you have a grate with open fire under it and the other side with your cast iron pan or griddle. Allow both sides to heat up so you can attain a perfect sear.
- When both sides are ready, place one steak on each surface. This should take about 2 minutes per side to get the perfect sear. Cook your steaks to your desired doneness and internal temperature. Here is a chart for your review: (These temps are 5° below the desired doneness. The carryover heat will finish them while resting)
- RARE: 115-120°
- Medium Rare: 125-130°
- Medium: 135-140°
- Well Done: You’re on the wrong blog!
Remove the steaks and set on the counter to rest for 10 minutes. This will allow the juices to redistribute and the carryover heat to attain the desired doneness. After the rest, carve them into thin slices and admire your beautiful handiwork.
We would love to know which you think is better, open fire or cast-iron searing. Click on the video link and leave a comment about which you prefer. We hope you have enjoyed this and want to thank you for joining us for another week of The FOGO Life.
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.