2-2-1 Method Smoked Ribs in your Ceramic Grill
The task of smoking BBQ ribs can seem like a difficult undertaking but trust us, it is not. Simply follow these simple instructions and you will the King of the Grill in no time! This easy-to-follow method is practically foolproof and produces rich, tender juicy ribs every time. If you like them to fall off the bone, Smoke them for a bit longer or add some liquid to the foil packet when wrapping them. This will allow them to steam a bit and turn out even more tender than what is shown in the video. I usually have to do it both ways as half of my household enjoys them falling off the bone while the rest of us enjoy ribs with a little bit more bite to them.
If you are making spareribs, use the 3-2-1 method. If doing baby backs, the 2-2-1 method will work just fine. Experiment a little and find out what works best for you!
- Fill your grill with FOGO Premium Charcoal and prepare it for indirect grilling at 250°.
- Remove the membrane from the back side of the ribs if it hasn’t already been removed. Also, slice off the very end of the thin side of the ribs.
- Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel, then slather the ribs with yellow mustard and apply a coat of your rib rub. Allow them to sit out for 10-15 minutes prior to putting them on the grill. This allows the moisture to combine with the rub to form a paste like appearance.
- Place your smoking chunks in and around the fire. Once the white smoke has cleared and turned blue or clear, place the ribs, bone side down in the center of the grate. Allow them to cook, undisturbed (if you’re looking, you ain’t cooking) for 2 hours.
- At the 2-hour mark, remove the ribs from the grill and wrap them in foil. You can add some liquid in the foil if you’d like, many use broth or apple juice. Another popular way is to lay the foil out, use squeeze butter to cover the foil that is the same size as the rack of ribs. Add some honey or brown sugar and lay the ribs, meat side down on it and wrap.
- Return the ribs to the grill, bone side down to the grill and allow them to cook for two additional hours.
- Now that 4 hours in total has passed, once again remove the ribs from the grill and remove the foil. Coat the ribs with your favorite BBQ Sauce and return them to the grill for one more hour.
- After the last hour has passed, remove the ribs from the grill for the last time. Allow them to rest for 10 minutes and slice them in between the bones and serve.
- Enjoy the ribs and don’t forget to share them, even though you will probably want them all for yourself!!!
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.