Ciao, and welcome back to another week of The FOGO Life. This week we will take you across the ocean for an incredibly special steak preparation. If you did not know already, the Florence region of Italy is very well known for their high-quality beef known as Chianina cattle. One thing that they know for sure is how to properly prepare this prized and tasty meat. We took a beautiful Porterhouse from Mosner Family Brands and recreated this incredibly tasty dish for you to enjoy.
The combination of the herbs, the oil and the balsamic vinegar create an incredible flavor combo that will leave you wanting to make this again very soon. It is a remarkably simple process that you can do on any grill and deliver an unforgettable dining experience. Follow the simple instructions below and you and your guests will be transported to the cobblestone streets of old Florence for an international culinary experience that you will not soon forget!
PREP TIME: 10 minutes plus 4 hours minimum for marinating
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
SERVINGS: MEAL FOR 2
- FOGO Charcoal, the First Ingredient
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Cup plus 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- ¼ Cup finely chopped Rosemary
- Porterhouse Steak 3-4” thick
- Kosher salt
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Combine the vinegar, ½ Cup EVOO and the rosemary in a large resealable plastic bag. Place the steak in the bag, seal and place the bag in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and if possible, overnight. Make sure to turn the bag several times during the marinating process.
- Set up your grill for indirect cooking. Let the grill come up to 275° before placing the meat on the grill.
- Remove the meat from the marinade. Coat the steak with the remaining EVOO & sprinkle it with the kosher salt and black pepper. Place the steak on the grill with the NY Strip side nearest the heat source. (If you place it with the filet side nearest the heat, it will tend to overcook)
- Cook the steak until the internal temp is approx. 120° for medium rare. (this is how it is traditionally served) Remove the steak and rest it while you set the grill up for direct cooking. Allow the fire to build and get good and hot in preparation for searing.
- Place the steak on the grate directly over the hot coals for one minute. Flip the steak over and sear the second side for one minute. Remove the steak from the grill, slice and serve!
There is no need to rest the steak before serving because it already rested while switching over to direct cooking. The steak will remain very tender and juicy.
Bistecca alla Fiorentina is a dish that we hope you will try and see for yourself. We would love to see your social media posts when you do. We certainly hope that you have enjoyed this edition of #TheFOGOLife and will tune in again for the next episode. Remember to tag us in your social media posts so we get to enjoy all of the beautiful food that you create using FOGO Charcoal. Until then, ciao, mangia and enjoy!