Reverse Seared Tri-tip for Tacos
The art of reverse searing on the Big Green Egg is one that every Egghead should know how to do. In this easy-to-follow recipe, CptnRon302 shows how to properly execute a reverse sear and build yourself a delicious taco. It is amazingly simple to do and once that you learn this method, you won’t want to make a steak any other way!
- Prepare your grill for 2 zone cooking, direct/indirect at 250° by filling it with FOGO Charcoal and lighting it on one side of the grill
- Trim and excess fat from the meat and season liberally with your seasoning of choice. Allow the meat to sit while you prepare the guacamole.
- Make your guacamole- Mash the avocado, add cilantro, lime juice and salt, combine well and set aside.
- Place the Tri-tip on the indirect side of your grill and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 120°. (This is for medium rare) We like to use a Meater Thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Once the meat hits the desired temperature, remove it from the grill and allow it to rest while you open all of the vents and get the fire stoked up and burning hot, hot, hot!
- Once you have a raging inferno going, place the steak on the direct side of the grill and sear it for one minute per side. This should provide you with some charring on the meat.
- Remove the meat and place some tortillas on the grill. Toast them for about 30 seconds per side. Ideally, there will be some slight grill marks beginning to appear on them. Remove from the grill.
- Slice the meat. Use caution when slicing a Tritip. The grain runs in two different directions. You must first cut the steak where the two muscles meat. After that is done, slice the meat thinly, across the grain.
- Take a tortilla, place some steak, then a smear of guacamole, tomato, onion and cotija cheese all on the meat. Squeeze a touch of lime over it and then finish it off with some Cilantro Lime Crema.
- Devour that tasty taco and make yourself another one!
Receive free shipping on all orders over $40
We guarantee 100% of all FOGO purchases
Questions? We're here,
ready to help.
Our charcoal is made from the best for the best grilling.