Football season is upon us again and that can only mean one thing for all of us grill lovers…Tailgating season!!! The time of year when we gather with friends and family to enjoy some great food and root on our favorite teams. Go Dolphins! This is the first in a series of easy, kicked up tailgate recipes for you to enjoy. It doesn’t have to be hot dogs and hamburgers anymore, with a little bit of work, you can be the hero of the tailgate party with these simple and delicious recipes!
RECIPE TYPE: Italian Sausage (pork)
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
GRILL TIME: 20 minutes
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 6
FOGO Premium Charcoal- The First Ingredient
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
Kosher salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar
6 Sweet Italian Sausages. Use HOT or a combo of hot & sweet if you’d like!
1 Large Onion, sliced ¼” thick
2 Large Bell Peppers (you choose the color), sliced ¼” thick (substitute a hot pepper for a bell pepper for some more spice if you’d like)
1 Loaf of Italian Bread, cut the same length as the sausages
- Light the charcoal and build a medium hot fire.
- Place a cast iron pan over the fire and begin to heat it.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil.
- Add the peppers and onions, stirring frequently
- After 3 minutes, add the garlic and continue stirring
- After 5 minutes, sprinkle the mixture with the salt, pepper, and sugar
- Cook until the peppers begin to soften and char, and the onions begin to brown. Cook them until they reach your desired doneness.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cook the sausage on the grates. Cook, turning the sausage for even cooking and browning. The sausages are done when they have a slight char and have reached an internal temperature of 160°.
- Remove the sausage, place them in the pan with the vegetables and return it to the grill. Cook for a few minutes to heat everything evenly.
- Slice the bread open but do not cut it all the way through.
- Fill the bun with a sausage and the peppers and onions mixture and enjoy!