The Cowboy Ribeye Steak is basically a bone-in Ribeye Steak with a little bit of the tip of the bone sticking out. The best way is to cook this is to cook it low and on the slow on the grill to get the perfect medium-rare steak, and then to sear it over hot FOGO charcoal for the perfect crust.
To add a fresh take to the Surf and Turf, we added fresh sea scallops instead of the usual lobster or shrimp. I love the taste of grilled scallops and how they bring out the flavors in each other with the ribeye steak. If you’re not a big fan of scallops, you can try these grilled sriracha shrimp on the grill for your Surf part of the meal.
For this recipe, I used a soap stone. The soap stone provides an even cook and controls the flare-ups. I used it to sear both the Surf and the Turf!
As a side dish, I did asparagus wrapped in bacon. It is very simple and it can be grilled while you’re doing the steak. You can also add other side dishes you love such as grilled garlic bread or grilled corn on the cob, mashed potatoes or brussels sprouts.
- FOGO Super Premium charcoal, the first ingredient. Light with FOGO starters
- Cowboy Ribeye Steak
- Salt and Pepper or your favorite rub
- Seafood rub, I used White Magic rub
- Oil to season the soap stone, I used avocado oil
- We are going to start this cook by reverse searing the Cowboy Ribeye Steak. Set your grill to indirect cooking at 225 degrees Fahrenheit, already put the soap stone on so it slowly comes up to temperature.
- Season the steak with your favorite rub, I like using salt and pepper.
- Cut the end tips of the asparagus, then take three asparagus at a time and wrap them in bacon. Sprinkle just a little bit of salt and pepper on them.
- Place the Cowboy Ribeye steak and the bacon-wrapped asparagus on the grill.
- Once the steak hits 115-120 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature take it off. Once the bacon is crispy on the bacon-wrapped asparagus, these are ready too so take them off the grill. Open the grill vents to bring the temperature up for searing.
- Season the soap stone with avocado oil, I prefer to use avocado oil because of it's high smoke point.
- Season the scallops with a favorite seafood rub, I am using White Magic.
- Slice the lime and the shallots
- Once the soap stone is at medium/high heat, about 400-500 degrees Fahrenheit sear the scallops.
- They sear fast in about 1 min per side, don’t overcook them so they stay juicy and soft.
- Once the scallops are seared, transfer them to the serving plate and, sprinkle some lime juice on them. Garnish them with the shallots
- Finally sear the Cowboy steak, also about a minute to two per side, until the crust is to your liking. Remember always let the steak rest for 10 minutes before cutting it!